The Annandale Athletics Hall of Fame encourages excellence through sports, academics, health and fitness; preserving our sports heritage while building pride in Annandale High School and the Annandale community.
Established in 2018, the Annandale Athletics Hall of Fame’s main goal is to promote Annandale High School, while honoring and recognizing great Atoms who have represented Annandale High School positively. Each year, the Annandale High School Athletics Department and the Atoms Booster Club honor individuals by inducting them into the Annandale Athletics Hall of Fame.
2020 Hall of Fame Class
- Doug Brown (’59) — Football and track & field
- Steve Willis (’69) — Wrestling and football
- Mike Lucido (‘74) — Football, wrestling, track & field
- Jamie Carayiannis (’76) — Football, wrestling, track & field
- Elissa Beckman (’90) — Field hockey
- Monica Crittenden (’91) — Track & field
- Randy Scott — Football and wrestling coach
- Cecil Starkey — Football contributor
- 1972 Football Team — won the state championship
- 1985 Boys’ Gymnastics Team — won the state championship
2019 Hall of Fame Class
Inducted on Sept. 28, 2019
- Joe Davies (’58) — Football, basketball and baseball
- George Elgin (’58) — Football, basketball and baseball
- Dee Phillips (’56) — Field hockey and softball
- Robert Frere (‘68) — Football, basketball and track and field
- Jeff Von Beulwitz (’68) — Football, wrestling and baseball
- Allison Evans (’99) — Girls’ lacrosse and girls’ basketball
- Ralph Buckley — Annandale High School principal
- Dick Adams (’75) — Football and wrestling coach
- Cindy Hook (’73) — Girls’ soccer, field hockey, girls’ lacrosse and softball coach
- 1967 Football Team — Won the 1967 state championship
- 1981 Golf Team — Won the 1981 state championship
2018 Hall of Fame Class
Inducted Sept. 8, 2018
- Katherine Buck — Basketball and softball coach at AHS 1955-80; led the girls varsity basketball team to four district championships. (Died in 2017)
- Amanda Cromwell — Soccer player on the state championship team in 1986 and basketball state championship team in 1988. All Region and All Met in 1987 and 1988; All State and All American in 1988. After AHS, served on the U.S. Women’s National Soccer Team 1991-98; Gold Medal in FIFA World Cup 1996; played professional soccer on six teams; current head coach at UCLA.
- Jim Finch — Served at AHS 1957-86. Coached many sports, taught history, and was principal 1966-86.
- Bob Hardage — Served AHS 1960-90; head football coach and athletic director. Hardage led the Atoms football team to win three state championships (1967, 1972, and 1978) and the state championship in 1978. He was named Northern Virginia Head Coach of the Year four times.
- Ed Henry — Coached football and track 1957-65; led the 1965 state championship team and won three regional championships.
- Robin Jennings — Played baseball for the Annandale Atoms 1987-1990; All-District four years in a row, and in 1990, All-Region, All Met, and All-State. Jennings played professional baseball 1992-2007 for seven Major League teams, including 16 seasons for the Nationals.
- Sonny Utz — Played football and baseball for the Atoms 1958-1961; four consecutive county football championships; All-Met and All Northern Region. Known as “Mr. Inside” as a champion quarterback at Virginia Tech and played professional football for the Dallas Cowboys and CFL Winnipeg Jets.
- Rachel Peters — Athletic director and field hockey coach 1955-79.
- Kathryn Russel — AHS student 1954-57; star player on the basketball team, captain of the softball team.
- The 1959 football team — won the 1959 Virginia Northern Region championship.
- The 1965 football team — had an 11-0 record and won the 1965 state championship.
- The 1986 girls’ soccer team — won the 1986 Virgnia state championship.